2016 President's Welcome Letter
Dear Kappa Alpha Theta Sister,
Bettie Locke Hamilton stated, “I dream of the endless possibilities for the good and close friendship that this fraternity makes possible through the years, and it awes me a little to think that I had a part in starting it. Just think, if it grows and multiplies, it may someday bring together into sisterly relationship women from all parts of the country who have never seen each other before, who are all friends, because of Theta.”
On behalf of the New Orleans Alumnae Board of Kappa Alpha Theta, I would like to extend an invitation to you towards renewing your membership with our New Orleans Alumnae Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and continuing Bettie’s dream of endless possibilities for the good and close friendship that this fraternity makes possible through your membership. If you’re new to our alumnae chapter, we would love for you to consider membership and join us at upcoming chapter events!
With the support and advice of an enthusiastic and equally ambitious alumnae board, I am pleased to announce that we achieved several of last year’s goals (and some lagniappe!) such as the following:
- • Retained and expanded our dues paying membership since the previous biennium
- • Refreshed a more interactive and functional web page and actively updated /documented more pictures from our various social events onto the Facebook and Instagram social media accounts
- • Organizing an annual fund-raising with substantial participation by dues paying members with the aim of raising awareness of Kappa Alpha Theta in the area
- • Participated in the International Day of Service on or near October 19
- • Established a closer bond with the Alpha Phi (Tulane) and Delta Kappa (Louisiana State University) active collegiate chapters (i.e. serving as advisors on the advisory board committee, participating in the Theta Foundation review committee, attending important events at the active chapters, planning more alumnae-active socials, and sending monetary donations, scholarship incentives, and seasonal gift baskets).
- • Provided more alumnae events (i.e. Happy Hour get-togethers) per month while spotlighting alumnae celebrations (i.e. Founders’ Day, Wine and Cheese, and Senior Sendoff)
- • Revitalized our relationship with CASA New Orleans and CASA Jefferson through volunteering within the CASA New Orleans committee board, CASA events, and/or donation drives
- • Provided a 2015 alumnae membership directory for the Tulane Theta chapter in order to direct alumnae-active career and academic networking
- • Continued the successful Survival Kits program for the parents of the Alpha Phi active chapter
- • Introduced a PayPal dues payment option in addition to accepting check dues
- • Updated the Alumnae Chapter Facebook page and Instagram account for our alumnae chapter in order to be more accessible to our wonderful alumnae sisters
- • Sent monthly Birthday greetings to our alumnae chapter members
As of this past Grand Convention in Orlando, Florida, I am happy to report to you that the New Orleans Alumnae Chapter was rewarded with the Twin Star Award in 2014. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and our hopes high that our alumnae chapter’s collective efforts can achieve recognition again at this year’s Grand Convention!
I truly appreciate the time and commitment these board members have devoted towards the success of the New Orleans alumnae chapter and it is through their passion from their vowed commitment towards our Fraternity that our improvements have been noted and awarded.
In order to constantly improve and strive towards the Golden Kite Alumnae award criteria for Grand Convention 2016, our alumnae board will continue working towards the following goals this upcoming year:
- • Donating a minimum of 30 percent of dollars collected through all fund-raising (outside of dues collection) to Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation as an unrestricted gift
- • Placing additional emphasis on Life Loyal members (recognition at Founders Day; gifting Life Loyal membership; providing education on Life Loyal)
- • Revitalizing the Pansy Pantry Cookbook for the 2016-2017 term. All revenue generated will be dispensed as a scholarship award to a local Theta collegiate active.
- • Obtaining a Square credit card reader in order to process membership dues, donations, and fundraiser payments in a more efficient manner
- • Communicating with members and officers via the Officer Portal email system
- • Spotlighting and recognizing officers and members on our social media accounts
- • Expanding our alumnae chapter’s outreach to local alumnae (as designated by Officer Portal) by increasing our snail mail delivery
- • Providing a Heart Care Packages to all Tulane Theta students in lieu of the Success Kit care packages
- • Increasing active participation as an alumnae chapter with the Greater New Orleans Alumnae Panhellenic
Attached to this welcome letter, you will find a dues payment form that you are more than welcome to email us back or mail to our alumnae chapter’s p.o. box. If online dues payment is easier rather than check dues payment, please feel free to use the PayPal account that we have set up for our alumnae chapter (Pay Pal instructions are listed on the dues payment form). It is our hope that this online payment option makes the dues payment process easier for our alumnae chapter while reducing our carbon footprint in our community.
The New Orleans Alumnae Board of Kappa Alpha and I thank you in advance for your continued support, appreciation, and involvement with our alumnae chapter. Without you, we would not be able to continue the wonderful legacy that past alumnae board members and alumnae chapter members have laid for us to improve upon. I look forward to personally meeting you at upcoming events and please be on the look out for our alumnae board minutes and paperless post evites so you are updated on upcoming meetings, socials, and events. Together, the New Orleans Alumnae Chapter will continue to establish more cherished memories in the name of Bettie Locke, Alice Allen, Bettie Tipton, and Hannah Fitch.
Loyally in Theta,
Joanna Bautista, DK ‘06
New Orleans Alumnae Chapter President
Kappa Alpha Theta